1 Jan

George Michael

George Michael, photo courtesy of www.shauntwax30.com

On Christmas Day, after a year of tremendous loss of once-in-a-lifetime artists like Prince and David Bowie, among others, the soulful George Michael passed away at the age of 53. I must say that as I listened to and watched video after video of his hits like Freedom, Faith, and Careless Whisper, and going back even earlier to his Wham days with Wake Me Up and Everything She Wants, I realized what a huge presence he was in my 80’s and 90’s music (read: MTV) landscape.

George Michael was an artist who openly expressed his male sexuality, and spoke up to normalize gay love. Even after he came out as gay, us gals still crushed on him, though. It was good to hear he was a quiet philanthropist, a generous soul. And, like people tried to label Prince as an addict at the end of his life, people of course are remembering that George Michael did actually struggle with addiction. Hopefully he will be most remembered for the gifts he gave to the world through his talent, and for the good human being he surely seemed to be.

Sharing here, George Michael’s version of Queen’s Somebody To Love at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness held at Wembley Stadium in London in 1992.  The song’s sound, which Queen says was influenced by Aretha Franklin and gospel, is about faith, desperation and soul-searching.  The lyrics in the last stanza read:

Got no feel, I got no rhythm
I just keep losing my beat (you just keep losing and losing)
I’m OK, I’m alright (he’s alright, he’s alright)
I ain’t gonna face no defeat
I just gotta get out of this prison cell
One day (someday) I’m gonna be free, Lord

Find me somebody to love [repeat]

Can anybody find me somebody to love?

We all need love. We all deserve freedom.  Let’s find us somebody to love. Let’s love everybody.

I sincerely thank all of you for riding along with me in 2016.  Hang on for dear life in 2017.  I have high hopes for all of us to use our love to prevail. Love wins. Every time.

_

________

SOURCE:  Somebody To Love Lyrics, by Queen, via www.azlyrics.com

Video: George Michael & Queen – Somebody To Love, www.youtube.com, posted by neaziynh

8 Responses to “Happy New Year: WJSS Weekend Sounds: George Michael and Queen – Find Me Somebody To Love”

1. Jane January 1, 2017 at 9:47 am #

Thank you, Wendy, for the reminder about love and for you and your beautiful words. Keep writing in 2017, were going to need your words.

• Wendy Jane January 1, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

Thank you, Jane–so sweet of you. I will keep on writing, and I wish you all the best with your healing work this year. Happy New Year!

2. Helen January 1, 2017 at 11:02 am #

You are so talented Wendy!!!

• Wendy Jane January 1, 2017 at 7:23 pm #

Thank you, Helen. Humbled, to have the compliment coming from you–Ms. Ultra-Talented playwright, producer, writer, etc. Happy New Year!

3. Karen kidd January 1, 2017 at 5:44 pm #

This was wonderful,Wendy. Thank you for this.

• Wendy Jane January 1, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

Thank you, Karen! and, Happy New Year to you!

4. Sherry Gordon January 3, 2017 at 12:53 am #

Well, hi, there, Wendy Jane, my so, so very For Always absolutely awesome soul sisterfriend who you’re For Always so, so very much!!!! Wow, I love this very moving and touching blog post article here of yours which is just a very fine and excellent tribute for our late great George Michael. What an astoundingly talented person he was creating sheer beauty for all of us with his singing and music, and in his very life with how he lived. Sister, I am just so sad that he has died and much too young at the age of 53!!!!!!! What a special man for sure who has gone on to our Heaven to join our Purple Prince and all of the other so very dear celebrities who have so sadly and often unexpectedly passed on, sister!!!! Wow, Wendy Jane, I love the very fabulous video you have very graciously and generously featured and included with this super blog post article and tribute with our George Michael’s version of Queen’s Somebody To Love!!!! Wow, this is just spectacular here and wow, did I enjoy listening to and watching this!!!! Wow, I just can’t seem to have it sink in that our George Michael is dead, sisterfriend!!!!! What a great and special man who was very courageous being a rejoicing and proud out gay man surely helping very many other lesbian, gay, and bisexual persons along their journeys and paths. I love his endearing generosity with him being a quiet philanthropist. Wow, what an all-around good human being he was just as you very wisely share and declare here, Wendy Jane!!!!! The title of your great article here with the superb picture, and of this great writing in all of its totality are absolutely fantastic regarding this absolutely fabulous man!!!!!

Sister, we all do need love. And we all will find love. We all do deserve freedom which is our God-given right as human beings who are God’s children. We all must love everybody. Sister, I thank-YOU for riding along with me not only in 2016 but as usual as always, and we all thank-YOU for riding along with us just as we have ridden along with YOU, my and our sister!!!!! Sister, I’m with you, here, and I, too, have high hopes for each and every one of us to use our love to prevail. We will all keep the faith and hope alive with our very positive optimism never ever giving up and never ever losing heart. See sister now you have me feeling very inspired, uplifted, and empowered emboldened to go forth with you and others as we keep on keeping on in enacting positive good and change. Wow!!!!!! Yay!!!!! I thank-YOU so, sister, and we all thank you so!!!!! You keep me and all of us very inspired and ready to act in enacting such greater good for all of us and our country, society, and world, sisterfriend!!!!!! Yay!!!!!

Very Warmly and Sincerely For Always, my so, so very For Always absolutely amazing soul sisterfriend white woman who you’re For Always so, so very much, Wendy Jane, with Such Peace and Love For You For Always, friend of mine, and with Such Blessings and Such Even More Blessings for You For Always, sister of mine,

Yours For Always soul sisterfriend black woman and For Always in the very great spirit of unity and solidarity, Sherry Gordon in Iowa City, Iowa

• Wendy Jane January 5, 2017 at 11:22 pm #

Thank you, Sherry! thank you for being the loving person that you are, and for putting your love out into the world every day.

xo