7 Feb

Maurice White, Earth, Wind & Fire

Maurice White, Earth Wind & Fire

Countless people all over the world expressed their sadness at the passing of Maurice White, 74, founder of Earth, Wind & Fire, this week. I was also sad when I heard the news because EWF was the soundtrack of my youth.

There are many who could expound much more articulately than me about the band, who were simply epic in terms of what they brought to the world–a new sound, a blend of jazz, soul, r & b, funk, and disco, with expert musicianship–all wrapped up in Maurice’s vision of creating an experience that was not just about the music, but a spiritual experience intertwined, or, living as one, with the music.

I know I have many of their albums in a bin in my basement waiting for when I finally get a turntable again.  And I know memories will spill forth when I do listen to them, just like they are this weekend as I play EWF songs on youtube–memories of our high school cheerleaders doing a pom pom routine to Shining Star, dancing in my bedroom to September and Saturday Night, or laying on my bed listening to the  big-picture, universal messages of Maurice White singing songs like Devotion and That’s The Way Of The World.  I’ve also been told that Reasons was the perfect song to make out to while parking, but I wouldn’t know anything about that.  Nor did I ever mimic Philip Bailey singing Reasons while in a car making out with someone.

I don’t have a favorite, because there are so many amazing songs they created, some popular, some more obscure, but I think for today I’ll play That’s The Way Of The World, because it’s a beautiful song with a beautiful message. A child is born…and a gifted musician and artist passes on…that’s the way of the world…

Rest In Peace, Maurice White. Thank you for the gift of music and spirituality as one that you bestowed upon our generation, and of course, generations to come, as your music and your message is timeless.

Readers, please share your favorite EWF songs, memories, and words of tribute in the Comments section below.

SOURCE:

www.youtube.com, Earth Wind and Fire, That’s The Way Of The World, posted by Kenneth

photo credit:  www.earthwindandfire.com

7 Responses to “Wendy Jane’s Weekend Sounds: Earth, Wind & Fire – That’s The Way Of The Word – Rest In Peace, Maurice White”

1. Hester M. Kaplan February 7, 2016 at 7:51 am #

EWF was the soundtrack of my early high school days, too Even today when I hear it, I still feel that incredibly potent combo of fear, excitement, and erotic possibility. RIP, Mr. White.

2. Vickie February 7, 2016 at 8:32 am #

I have often said that there were a handful of albums from our youth that were almost “required” and that everyone, no matter how cool or uncool you believed yourself to be, owned. They were universal. We all had that in common. Gratitude was most certainly one of that handful.

Nicely said and I really do love the title.

3. Helen February 7, 2016 at 8:46 am #

REASONS…is my all favorite. I grew up with so many great artists and sounds, thanks to my mother, that it really saddens my heart when I hear of any of them passing. Maurice White was brilliant and EWF electrifying music will play on well after my daughter’s generation.

4. Ellen Taylor February 7, 2016 at 10:28 am #

This is probably my very favorite EWF song. Their music saw me through high school and beyond. Brings back such a sweet tumultuous time. So sad, they’re starting to leave us, one by one, the musicians who supplied “the soundtrack of our lives.” The music lives on though. Thanks, Wendy.

5. Wendy Jane February 7, 2016 at 4:12 pm #

Thank you all so much for reading, listening, and for leaving your memories of what Earth Wind and Fire meant to your coming of age.

6. Sherry Gordon February 8, 2016 at 12:27 am #

Hi, there, Wendy Jane, my so, so very For Always dearly special and dearly precious sister and friend who you are For Always so, so very much!!!!!! Sister, what an absolutely amazing, so, so very cool, sharp, and sparkling tribute this is for our Maurice White, sisterfriend!!!!!! I so, so very much love and like this beautiful blog post article a whole bunch, Wendy Jane! What a so very perfect and beautiful picture you have chosen to feature with this so very cool blog post article that in such very fine and excellent fashion pays tribute to our Maurice White, sister! They were a huge part of my youth, too, sister. He so, so sadly died at too, too young of an age, Wendy Jane!!!!!!! Wow, you said so brilliantly and so very accurately how our Maurice White’s vision and intent was to create a spiritual experience that wasn’t only about the music. Wow, sister, wow you are so, so very right on here, Wendy Jane! Their music, singing, and instrumentation were a spiritual experience for me-reminds me of times needing to be inspired and cheered up, and also reminds me of feeling love and romance for some women from former relationships. Their music fueled my imagination, freeing me and firing my imagination, sister!!!!!! I can’t seem to be able to think of or to pick one particular song or favorite-you know, sister, maybe September, sisterfriend. My so, so very dearest friend, I am just so very moved and touched in my very heart, and my very heart, mind, soul, and spirit by your absolutely fine and totally magnificent tribute for our Maurice White which is just so cool and wondrously wonderful, sister!!!!!!! Sisterfriend, you are blessed with such a talent and a gift for such very, very masterful composition in the written word, Wendy Jane!!!!!! Sister, you have got it sisterfriend!!!!!!!(SMILE!!!!!!!).

Wendy Jane, please have a wondrously wonderful week, and may all of your days be so, so very blessed, my friend!!!!! I so, so very much love and like all of the cool and insightful comments by your other friends and fans! We as your very grateful and appreciative readers are just so appreciative of you, Wendy Jane, and your astounding writings!!!!!! YOU, Wendy Jane, and your writings are our blessings and joys, my friend!!!!!!!

Very Warmly and Sincerely For Always, my very special Jewish and white sister, Wendy Jane, with Peace and Love To You For Always, my very dearest and precious sisterfriend, with Blessings and Even More Blessings To You For Always, my friend,

Your lesbian black sisterfriend For Always in the very spirit and solidarity, Sherry Gordon

1. 2016: The Year In Review. 2017: You Have To Do Better | Wendy Jane's Soul Shake - December 31, 2016

[…] February we lost the great Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire, and Prince’s muse, Vanity 6’s, Denise Matthews.  We didn’t know then, what was […]