Wendy Jane’s Weekend Sounds: Natural High by Bloodstone

8 Nov

Bloodstone

Bloodstone

I heard this 70’s soul anthem, while out on my morning walk, plugged into my Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes Pandora station.  While I usually opt for my 80’s and 90’s Hip Hop, my MJ (of course!), Prince, or at times my Bhangra station, to get me moving faster along the path, on this crisp, sunshiny morning, I took it easy with some classic soul.

Bloodstone, originally named The Sinceres, formed in Kansas City, Missouri in 1962, gaining more attention and  fame after moving to London and signing with Decca Records.  Most popular in the 1970’s and 80’s, the hit, Natural High, definitely a part of the soundtrack of my youth, reached the Billboard 100’s Top Ten in 1973 when it was released under the album of the same name.

I get a natural high from my morning walks, from listening to Marvin Gaye loud in my car with the windows rolled down, and from that feeling of pining away for that person you just met, or locked eyes with, and in your mind and your heart, you begin to imagine what Charles Love, vocalist and guitarist for Bloodstone, sings of. Because, really, if you think about it, aren’t we all looking for our own natural high?

What’s yours?

___________

SOURCE:

www.youtube.com, Natural High, by Bloodstone, posted by J Ausaru

www.wikipedia.com

www.soultracks.com

Photo credit: www.allmusic.com

8 Responses to “Wendy Jane’s Weekend Sounds: Natural High by Bloodstone”

1. karen kidd November 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

Lately, my natural high derived from a song, whilst I walk, is Anthony Hamilton’s –Best of Me. I cannot get enough of it.
    It makes me smile as wide as a grandma’s comforting arms, and as deep as the bluest ocean.
    It puts a pep in my step, like no other song is able to–right now.

Who knows when that will change??
    But, for right now, I am enjoying the Natural High of Mr. Hamilton’s melodies.

{{{It’s simple, I love it
    Having you near me, having you here
    Our conversations, Outrageous
    you smile, then I smile then I say
    ooohhh- this is getting personal, personal, personal
    Lets stay for a while, and play, girl lets make this a moment
    oohhhh

Chorus:
    Giving you the best of me. Amazing, Amazing ooohh
    having you close to me, Amazing, Outrageous
    give your best to me

Good Morning,
    Its breakfast,
    Lost track of time but- we had a ball
    Lets catch a movie, then dinner,
    tonight the night we’ll just unwind and stay, hey lets stay personal, personal, personal
    lets stay for awhile and play, such a beautiful moment.
    oohhhh

Chorus
    Giving you the best of me.oohhh Amazing, somewhat Amazing ooohh
    having you close to me, Amazing, Outrageous
    give your best to me- giving you the best of me Amazing, giving you the best of me- Amazing
    oohh having you close to me-having you close to me- Amazing
    Outrageous- oohhhh give your best to me

ooohhhh, ooohhhh, ooooh ooohhh ooohhhhh, ooohhh ( repeated several times)

Chorus ( over and over)

Giving you the best of me. Amazing, Amazing ooohh
    having you close to me, Amazing, Outrageous
    give your best to me

Giving you the best of me amazing – some what amazing

repeat- Over

oooooohhhhhhh}}}

Songwriters
    HAMILTON, ANTHONY CORNELIUS / MOZEE, JAIRUS LEMUEL-JADA

Read more: Anthony Hamilton – Best Of Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics

• Wendy Jane November 8, 2015 at 7:36 pm #

Wow, Karen–love hearing about your natural high! I love Anthony Hamilton, and well, ooh la la-/I can’t wait to listen to this now.

Thanks again!

• Elissa November 9, 2015 at 9:30 am #

Good Song! Just listened to that this morning! A couple of my natural high songs are “Purify Me” by India Arie and I also love “Chocolate High” by India and Musiq Soul Child. I love how music can change a mood and create a high.

• Wendy Jane November 9, 2015 at 12:40 pm #

Thanks Elissa for sharing your “natural high” songs–I love how music does that too, and can’t wait to listen to your song picks!

2. Vickie November 8, 2015 at 6:37 pm #

Well… that’s a blast from the past. I had totally forgotten that song. Not one you hear often enough.

• Wendy Jane November 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm #

Yes it is–glad you enjoyed it, Vickie! And again, it was so great seeing you and finally meeting DC!

Wendy Darling:)

3. Sherry Gordon November 9, 2015 at 9:20 am #

Hello, there, my For Always so, so very dearly special, sweet, and so, so very dearly precious sister who you are For Always a whole bunch, Wendy Jane!!!!!! Wow, I am so happy! Yay!!!!! Finally I am able to respond with my very heartfelt comment to your beautiful blog post article with such cool and soothing music, sisterfriend!!!!!! Yay!!!!! I love this song so-wow, sister, this is an old favorite of mine. I have experienced those natural highs when I have been in love, Wendy Jane, and even being single right now I have a natural high which carries me knowing that I’ll find love again someday!!!!!! I think of the song, The Love I Lost, by our Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, and when I lost the then love of my life when I was a lot younger and my heart was broken into a zillion pieces, that I played this song a lot. The only thing, though, I won’t listen and believe their words, “I will never love again,” because there is For Always hope of love again. I often take songs by our wonderful artists, singers, and musicians, singing along and changing the pronouns to she and her(SMILE!!!!!) Sister, my older brothers, Joe and Tony, would become so angry with me when I was growing up when I’d go into their record collections and play their records, and then unfairly blame me if the records became scratched when I was perfectly innocent(SMILE!!!!!!) Sister, I know that it can just hurt so much to have love and lost but I am so, so very blessed and grateful to have experienced love and being in love even though I have lost because it is such a joyous natural high to have loved and to have been in love which is much better than to not have loved and to not have been in love at all, Wendy Jane!!!!!!

Sister, I have such a natural high just thinking about and knowing that I will for sure find love again someday-just the very thought and dream of this keeps me dreaming and hoping, Wendy Jane!!!!! I know that love will find me again someday and that is a natural high in and of itself! I have other natural highs, with my love for our Good Spirit God Creator, for all of our Dearest and Darling God’s children as my sisters and brothers, and for all of my so, so very dearest and darling sisterfriends like you my sweet white and Jewish sisterfriend, Wendy Jane!!!!!! I have such a natural high from nature and cheerful singing and chirping of birds in all their beautiful variety, flowers, the sun, just all of our Good God’s Creation. I have such a natural high from sharp and sparkling music like with the so very cool and soothing music you feature on your wonderful blog, sister!!!!! I have a natural high in people, just listening to people talk and their great voices, in singing, playing instruments if I still had them(I lost my oboe, clarinet, and keyboard when I lost my basement apartment near the Iowa River in the Great Flood of Summer 2008-I play a little bit of the piano also). I forgot to grab those instruments when I evacuated with this natural disaster, sister. I have a natural high in life and in our God and in all people. Music with great instrumentation and singing is such a natural high for me, and you have given me such a natural high with your so very spectacular blog post article with such very fine and excellent words and this great and so very cool music selection, sister!!!!!! My friend you have just made my day even better and brighter, Wendy Jane!!!!!! I thank-you so, sister!!!!!! You are just the very best and the greatest, Wendy Jane!!!!! You have such very Spirit-filled soul my true blue soul sister, Wendy Jane, For Always!!!!!!!

Please have a mighty fine and a marvelous Monday, a wondrously wonderful week, and just have such enjoyment in your very day, my special and sweet white sisterfriend!!!!!! Wow, I feel so inspired and uplifted from this great blog post article of yours and such marvelous music and singing with cool instrumentation from the music you very graciously and generously featured!!!!!! Thank-you so!!!!!!!

Very Warmly and Sincerely For Always, my so very precious white sister, Wendy Jane, with Peace and Love To You For Always, my so very special white sisterfriend, with Blessings and Even More Blessings To You For Always, my so very dearest friend,

Your Lesbian black sisterfriend For Always in solidarity, Sherry Gordon

• Wendy Jane November 12, 2015 at 1:06 pm #

I am sorry that your comment got lost for a moment–meaning, I forgot to check all of my comments and approve them. Thank you so much for your memories here. I can just imagine you stealing your brother’s records, trying to be careful, and then trying to cover up when they accused you of listening to them and scratching the records:) I know you were innocent!!:)

And, yes, to love and lose love, and the thrill and the pain of it all–you will love again, and be loved–of course you are loved by so many, but I know you desire another kind of love, too…it will come. Thank you for all the inspiration you give to me by being so joyous about all of the little treasures we tend to forget about in our quest to live these “important” lives.

xo