7 Sep

I came across this post on author and anti-racism educator, Tim Wise’s, blog.

Of course, I think the young women poets here are amazing, and I love what they have to say, but as a white person, I end up feeling guilty, and wonder, “are they talking to me?”–especially if I start to think, “but I’m a cool, understanding, empathetic, didn’t grow up in the suburbs, down with black people, white person…”–does that make me even more pointedly who they are talking about?

Please watch, and post your comments below:

Brave New Voices: (Video) “We Don’t Mean to Offend You By Calling You Racist”

Oh my…these women are amazing, and this message much in need of being heard. Below the video, check out the link for Brave New Voices, and YouthSpeaks…

_____

SOURCE:  www.timwise.org

6 Responses to “Re-Post from www.timwise.org: Brave New Voices Video, “We Don’t Mean To Offend You By Calling You Racist””

1. Susan September 7, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Made me angry. I wonder was it supposed to. And aren’t I too old for that kind of anger? Guess not. And what kind of anger is it? Food for thought.

• Wendy Jane September 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Hi there. Can you tell me what you were angry about–what in the poem made you angry–how it made you feel?

• Susan September 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Not sure. Pretty visceral reaction. Maybe like no matter what I might say in reply would never be heard?

• Wendy Jane September 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Yes, I see what you mean. I suppose that’s what I wonder, too, at times. Can white people be a part of the discussion on racism? How do we understand each other if we are not discussing it together? Or, will we always be seen as not being able to understand since we are not part of the oppressed, minority group?

2. Ellen September 11, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

This did not piss me off in the slightest. I found it refreshing. And well done. Hard work, lots of rehearsal obviously put into it. Isn’t that what art is, any kind of art? Putting it out there, in all its rawness? Some of their words stung a little, but it felt good. The truth hurts. And artists must be nothing if not truthful. That’s not to say I wouldn’t be squirming in my seat if I’d been in the audience, but I’d also be laughing and hollering right along with everyone else.

• Wendy Jane November 13, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

Ellen,

Sorry for the late response to your comment–it fell through the cracks. I truly appreciate your point of view. I feel like you are seeing this as a true artist would look at another artist’s work. You see it without judgement, or taking on guilt, or worry. I admire you for that. Thanks again for posting your comment.