Happy Birthday, MJ!

29 Aug

Me and MJ tee

Oh, Mikey!  What can I say, but Happy Birthday!  Some say I’m obsessed, but I know what I know.  And, that is…

that at age ten, I knew I had the perfect plan to meet you, have you fall in love with me, and marry me. I knew that when I hung your Off The Wall album cover right over my bed on my college dorm room wall,  I could peer over at your electric white socks and even sparklier smile, and still brown skin, any time I got stuck on typing a report on my portable typewriter, and you’d just about wink at me, and pull me through the agonizing feat of putting my thoughts on paper.

I knew that I wouldn’t really tear my sisters arm off when I tugged on it so tightly, both of us whooping and screaming, as we watched you glide through your, who knew then it would be historic, Billie Jean performance on the Motown 25 Year Anniversary Show.  I knew that the way you sang, The Way You Make Me Feel, was the way I felt whenever I saw you–from your days of singing, Never Can Say Goodbye, right through your Thriller and Bad albums.

I knew that I probably kind of stuck you in a museum after that.  Kind of froze your looks and your music up to that point in my mind because I wasn’t as in to your 90’s and beyond sound.  And, I knew I wanted to shut out all the news of the accusations of child molestation.  I knew I didn’t believe them, and it was hard for me to listen to all of those that did, and the media circus that surrounded it.  I knew I shut out the bizarre behaviors reported.  I knew I was so sad that you seemed so unhappy with who you were, that you lightened your skin and underwent so much plastic surgery that you were no longer my or anyone else’s Michael.  Not the one we all knew, anyway.

I knew that you didn’t think you were perfect enough.  I knew you were perfect just the way you were.

Happy Birthday, Michael Jackson.  I know that I miss you and your talents, and your  tremendous gifts that you shared with the world.

9 Responses to “Happy Birthday, MJ!”

1. Susan August 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Aww.

And wow.

Not something I intended to do but found myself riveted, watching the vid. The places where you can see the music inside him trying to blast its way out and he registers it in his whole body but contains it, keeps it cool, rides it. Awesome.

Thank you for sharing.

• Wendy Jane August 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Thanks, Susan. It’s funny watching this now, because back then the dance seemed so electric, and now with the way dancers move today, the moves seem much more sedate–like how special effects from 70’s movies compare to the crashtacular effects of today’s films.

Yet, yes, I agree with you about how MJ seems to teeter between exploding and self-containment. I remember Fred Astaire commented back then that he thought Michael was one of the best dancers he had ever seen.

2. Myrna August 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

That’s my girl !!! What a great video, too.

• Wendy Jane August 29, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Thanks so much, Myrna!

3. nancy August 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks for the reminder.While a shame he is no longer with us, how lucky we are to have his legacy in music and video.You can his moves in current dancers and perhaps open the door for so many to “dare to be”. Thank God there is no way to contain greatness. Great is great.

• Wendy Jane August 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks, Nancy. So nicely said….

4. Denitra Letrice August 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

I happen to harbor great love for MJ as well. But then who does not love to watch a diamond shine? I once heard a vblog about Lauryn Hill where the person speaking said that we look at people with great gifts like they are vending machines, like our appreciation for them means they owe us their gift on demand with no allowance for being human. I don’t think it is an accident Michael and Whitney were lost to us the same way. They are artists, divinely gifted, not vending machines that we shake until they perform.

• Wendy Jane August 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Thanks so much for your comments, Dee–they’re so beautifully said. That’s such a deep thing to remember–to not shake and use up our divinely gifted artists so that they get emptied out, exhausted, and have to leave us, hurt, wounded, with nothing left to give.

• Ellen September 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

Wow, that is a really great way to say that. I never thought of it quite that way, but of course you are absolutely right. We, their greatest fans, who love them (in our own perverse way) do kind of suck them dry without much regard for them as just plain human beings. It’s a one-way street, in a way. You could say great artists choose that life, choose to give and give, because the “love” they receive in return is what powers them through life. But in the end, it’s got to be a pretty lonely existence. All that said, I still got goose bumps watching the video. He is totally mesmerizing. I miss him too.