White Girl Stereotypes

11 Jul

After Monday’s post which questioned how stereotypes of black girls evolve, I thought it was only fair to check into some white girl stereotypes. Searching on-line, there were actually numerous articles on the subject of stereotypes of both black and white women; some serious and some satirical.  I’m posting two finds here.  Please post links to any interesting article or video discoveries you make.

First,  is a list poem that appeared on Yahoo! Answers as a response to a student asking for advice on school assignment to write poem on stereotypes of white girls:

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN STEREOTYPES! BUT I DO KNOW A FEW:

slutty

unassertive

overly-sensitive

wild party girls

gold-diggers

won’t work

let their children control them

incest

plastic surgery

cry babies

spoiled

daddy’s girls

say “um” and “like” a lot

racist

greedy

selfish

try to use sex to get out of things like “tickets”

sense of superiority

look old at a young age

tan too much

shallow

materialistic

These are a few! I didn’t want to go overboard!

The following video is pretty funny–a young woman pleads for the dismantling of white girl stereotypes.  It’s funny, and yet, if I was an academic, I’d have to say something about the fact that this is a young, black woman, dressed in a blonde wig, talking about white girl stereotypes, so there should be some kind of discourse about subversion, racial constructs, signs and signifiers, etc., but I am not an academic, and so will leave it up to you all, to add any remarks about the multi-layers of looking at race that are happening here.

____

SOURCES:  Yahoo! Answers, November 2011; www.youtube.com, White Girl Stereotypes, by TajmaNaj, 5/23/2011

7 Responses to “White Girl Stereotypes”

1. Steve July 11, 2012 at 8:27 am #

The video simultaneously made me laugh out loud and hurt my head. Her mannerisms and speech were very “white” – very well done. And yet it was like watching a foreign movie with really bad translation/dubbing where the voice doesn’t match the person or the lip movements. It also reminded me of Bizarro, a parallel version of SuperMan (in the comic books growing up) from a bizarre parallel universe who was like him but not. Was I watching the parallel of Wendy – I can picture you sitting in front of your vanity with your hair in tight ringlets practicing your ghetto speak.
    On a more serious side, interpreting the confusion I felt while watching this reminds me that we all stereo-type, within and across racial/ethnic/cultural boundaries and humor is an effective way to remind us of this. – the video was a good find.

• Wendy Jane July 11, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Steve,
      As always thanks for your response here. The video is really captivating isn’t it? I can just picture this as part of some college class on race, where they’d get all academic on it–talking about semiotics, symbolism, metaphor, signifiers, constructions of race, etc. all the stuff I tried to wrap my brain around in college, but really, I’m putting this images and words out there, and having regular folks like us talk about it without hiding behind the curtain of intellectualizing it.

• Birgit August 26, 2012 at 6:40 am #

I don’t use MySpace or Facebook but out of all my AIM buddies, 80% are Asian. On MSN, 100%, LOL!Hmmm I too like all types of pleope, but after looking at the statistics, maybe I am somewhat naturally inclined to Asian pleope due to obvious reasons.Does this make me racist? Well, after thinking about it sure, it appears so a little, but on the other hand, I don’t target adding pleope based solely on race. I add buddies more on what we have in common in terms of hobbies, etc. BUT what if these hobbies are related only mostly to Asians hmmm LoL, makes me wonder!

2. Guardiannita August 26, 2012 at 6:34 am #

what about white people who have motlsy white friends?or black people who only have motlsy black friends?sometimes they are discriminatory, maybe not necessarily racist.. either way, ususally your friends are a product of your environment. what hobbies you take up, what events and activities you attend/do its bound to happen!personally, ive learned this year that its much easier to relate to asians, or even more specifically, koreans, just cuz the way we are is different (even if its slightly) from other races. i didn’t really understand this concept, but its true- the things we find funny, the way we talk, the way we interact with other people isn’t the same. just an example earlier tonight i was at a concert (motlsy koreans in attendance) and our emcee was making jokes and stuff that i realized would be weird or not that funny to white people, but the audience was seriously cracking up.

3. Sherry Gordon April 4, 2015 at 2:55 pm #

Hi, there, my sweet white and Jewish friend and sister, Wendy Jane who you are For Always so, so very much! I pray, wish, and hope for you, precious sister, Leni, Darla, and the rest of your wonderful family a Very. Very Happy, Happy and Very Blessed Passover to all of you!!!!!!! I need to go through more of your archives, my friend!!!!!!! I must get to reading through some more of your great and cool archives, Wendy Jane!!!!!!

Sister, I think with all of my very heart from the deepest depths of my very heart from the very bottom of my very heart that there are very, very many unfair and egregiously false stereotypes about white women and white girls. I grew up hearing so, so many lies about white women and white girls, and in my adult life I have heard many, many vile and atrocious lies and stereotypes about white women and white girls. I hear a lot that mainly white women and white girls have eating disorders. Let the truth be known that some black women and black girls, and other nonwhite women and girls do very much indeed also have eating disorders. For myself, I have been heavy set most of my life. I don’t purge but I still have issues with overeating sometimes and with binge eating sometimes, and sometimes eating too much junk food. Wendy Jane, I love healthy food as well but I get still tempted to eat junk food, my precious white sisterfriend. Then there is the stereotype that white women and white girls are the main people who go to therapy and have mental health issues. I say to this stereotype, sister, that I am a black woman who has been in therapy for decades and I still am in therapy and will contimue to be in therapy. I have had issues with my mental health, sister, but I am so, so glad that over time that I am doing so much better with my mental health, but I do still see the need to remain in therapy because it helps me so immensely, in particular having grown up abused severely in every way in a highly toxic, pathological, and dysfunctional family, and how I had recovery and healing in recovery issues like how I have been in 12-Step programs for decades. Sister, I am doing so, so much better with my mental health and in my recoveries in 12-Step programs but the need to continue doing so with my therapy and going to my 12-Step program meetings goes on. Also there is the horrible lie and stereotype that white women age more than black women and other women of color. I don’t think that white women age more than myself and other black women, and other nonwhite women. Black women do very much indeed age as they get older-I am aging as a black woman at 53. Other nonwhite women, and all men do also age as they get older as well. I so, so love and care for white women as people, and you, Wendy Jane, and other white women are my very heart as the lesbian black woman as I am. I am so, so very intensely attracted to white women, and I think white women are very, very beautiful, lovely, gorgeous, pretty, and attractive and I find white women very, very attractive from being young women, to middle-aged, to being elderly!!!!!! I don’t think in the very least that white women look bad as they get older, my precious white sister!!!!!!!! At any age, Wendy Jane, I think that white women look absolutely great!!!!!! Then there is the stereotype that white women are too picky like in terms of having to do things a certain way, and that white women are neat freaks. I can think of how there are definitely black women who are very anal about neatness and cleanliness, sister. Also, I can think of for sure black women who are very set in their ways and rigidly stubborn about how things just absolutely have to be done in a certain way. And I also think of the stereotype that white women are vain, shallow, superficial, and materialistic. This stereotype is just so wrong and so unfair, Wendy Jane. I can sure think of a lot of black women and other women of color who do very much indeed have these qualities. There are good and bad people EVERYWHERE and these evil stereotypes are just so, so very wrong and heinously unfair about you, Wendy Jane, and other white women and girls, my white sister!!!!!!

Sister, I am praying to our Good God and hoping and wishing for you, Leni, Darla, and the rest of your great family to please have a blessedly marvelous and fantastic Passover at this grand holy time!!!!!!! Enjoy yourselves at this very holy and blessed time, Wendy Jane, my so, so very dearly special and precious white and Jewish friend and sister who you are For Always so, so very much!!!!!!

Very Warmly and Sincerely For Always, Wendy Jane, with Peace and Love To You For Always, and Blessings and Even More Blessings To You For Always, my dearly precious white and Jewish sisterfriend,

Your lesbian black friend and sister For Always in solidarity, Sherry Gordon

• Wendy Jane April 6, 2015 at 1:53 pm #

Thanks for checking in on this post. I suppose the thing about stereotypes–is just that–that they are stereotypes, and they lump one category of people into one way of being. As you have pointed out, and I so appreciate your openly sharing your point-of-view as a black woman, that you and other black women also are challenged by things considered to be traits of “white girls” like eating disorder, mental health issues, and the effects of aging. When you share, I always feel sad that someone as lovely as you grew up under a roof where there was abuse of many kinds–physical and emotional, and yet, I am in awe of your strength and spirit for having overcome your struggles, and am glad that you use self-care to help you stay well. I do still envy though that black people do seem to age better than us white folks. As much as you admire the beauty of white women of all ages, I admire that black people as they age so often look much younger than their age.:)

Thank you again for reaching out, and for the good Passover wishes. Leni, Darla and I had a wonderful service at my friend Diana’s house again–a service that was inclusive and honoring of all people–whether black, white, gay, straight, or however you identified, there was a place for you at that table, and within the Seder service.

Be well, my friend!

1. Most Popular Google Search Leading To Wendy Jane’s Soul Shake: White Girl Stereotypes | Wendy Jane's Soul Shake - March 21, 2013

[…] first page of Google, right under Yahoo Ask.  And, all because of the post I put up in July 2012, White Girl Stereotypes, a follow-up to my post, One-Of-A-Kind Black […]