Wendy Jane’s 30-Day Anniversary!

15 Mar

When I took Hollis Gillespie’s most awesome, Atlanta’s Famous Blogging Workshop last summer, she recommended we post on our blogs every day for the first 30 days, and then two to three days a week after that.

Yesterday, was my 30th day!  I have to admit it was sometimes a challenge to pull new posts out of thin air.   Once I ran out of the posts I had written and stored like a greedy squirrel, I had nothing.  But…this has also been a thrilling thirty days, and I have truly loved connecting with all of you through your feedback and comments.  I am amazed by all of the support.  Race is such a loaded topic, and I worried so much about offending, but also realize, and you all have helped me with that too, that I simply need to be honest, and let the rest take care of itself.

I know the focus of the blog will become more clear in time.  I’d appreciate any feedback on the kinds of posts, and the actual posts that were your favorites, the ones you could do with out, and any new ideas you’d like to see here on Wendy Jane’s Soul Shake.

Again, thanks for your support.

6 Responses to “Wendy Jane’s 30-Day Anniversary!”

1. Myrna March 15, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Happy 30th, Wendy. Good job. Wondered where you got the idea to do this.

• Wendy Jane March 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Thanks, Myrna!

2. Anisa March 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Congratulations Wendy – Thanks for having courage to share your words (with the public).

• Wendy Jane March 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Thanks so much, Anisa!

3. Ken Harge March 18, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Congrats on your 30 days! I’d like to know more aobut your “obsession”, which seems to me to be such a strong word. I’m a very open minded person when it comes to the issue of race. I’ve dated outside my race, and have a lot of friends outside my race. However, I’ve never been obsessed about it. Obsession to me seems to be unhealthy. I’m curious about what is behind it all. At any rate…I’ll be back to read more. Keep it up!!!

• Wendy Jane March 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

Hi Ken,

Thank you! Congrats on KLH Beats, too! Oh gosh, it probably is unhealthy–do you think you can cure me? 🙂 It’s funny, but all I can say is I started out like you, I guess, having friends and coworkers outside of my race, never thinking much of it, but as I say in my About Page on the blog, when I moved away from Waterbury, and then New York City–both very diverse places–to Tulsa, Oklahoma for a few years, the lack of diversity was startling. It caused me to want to connect with people who were black, I think, because growing up I was always interested in connecting with people who were different from me, to have diversity in my life, and being in Waterbury, that meant people who were black. (Growing up I thought people were either Black, White or Puerto Rican–okay, and maybe Chinese–remember the one Chinese restaurant there was downtown?)

So, perhaps it’s become more of a passion than an obsession–the desire to connect, the thoughts about race relations, social justice, etc. I like to poke fun at myself, and say, obsession, and as a writer, which you are too, they say it’s good to have obsessions and to write about them.

Hope this makes things a little clearer–let me know. But, then again, part of the premise of the blog, is me asking myself why, too.

Thanks, Ken!