Please Share: What Is The S#*t Black People Think About White People

6 Mar

With yesterday’s post, Go Ahead, Girl!, I wrote about how I admired the joyful exuberance that I find seems to culturally come naturally to black people, while I feel like a rigid, inhibited, afraid to show my sass, white woman.  I worried, and still do, about that being a patronizing, generalizing statement, and so I thought I’d do two things today:

1)  Ask all of you who are reading this, and are black, to let me know how you felt about yesterday’s post, and about other statements, perceptions and misperceptions that you hear white people say about black people.  (Other people of color, and white people, you are not excluded here–please comment, as well on statements you’ve heard that seem to generalize or stereotype you:)

2)  I want to ask you to give me a list of your own statements about white people who might fall into the same category as my declaration about black people being more easily demonstrative of their feelings.  For example, I’ve heard the term “uptight whitey” used more than once.  I also read a book this past year, written by a white man, I believe a journalist, who happens to be married to a black women, and who lives in a very diverse, Chicago neighborhood.  His book, which I wish I could remember the author’s name and title of, dealt with how both races communicate and miscommunicate with one another,and through interviews, told how white privilege  and cultural differences impact black people’s communications with white people and vice versa.  For example, in the workplace, many black people said they did not always speak up with things they disagreed with because they were worried they would be viewed as either the “angry black man” or the “angry black woman,” and might start to be feared, or be passed over for a promotion or pay raise.

Maybe this can help you get started.  There has been a lot of debate about the S@*t White Girls Say videos.  You might comment on this, too, but I feel like I’ve already given you enough homework.

I  ask that we all be respectful, and use language that is positive, and comments that create a meaningful dialogue for all of us to connect and learn from.  I appreciate your feedback and participation here.

6 Responses to “Please Share: What Is The S#*t Black People Think About White People”

1. Kel March 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Have to give this more thought….
    But I DO want to quickly mention one thing that “white girls say to black girls” that ISN’T on this video: “I LOVE YOUR HAIR!” I hear it all the time. Hair is actually a common subject amoung my group of friends and within my family. Hair– Cut it? Grow it? Natural? Wig? Weave? Red? Purple? Blonde? Braids? Dreds?
    The hair judgements can be harsh!

• Wendy Jane March 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Thanks, Kelly! There is a part 1 to this video, and I think it might include a bit about hair–the white girl asking if she can touch the black person’s hair–I can’t remember. But, I know I hear about hair, too.

2. Manny March 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

what a loaded topic Wendy…I had a conversation in school with a professor it went like this: him “everyone is racist its not just whites. Some blacks are as well and all other races nationalities etc.” me: “yes this is true–although wrong there is one distinct difference. When the group or race that legislates and creates the laws do it (are racist) and those whose job it is to maintain those laws do it, (are racist), then therein lies the problem. The racism now becomes damaging to the society its systemic and becomes institutionalized.”… In my opinion racism is just ignorance, sounds cliche, but it really is. Although we are different we all have are excellent ones and our bad seeds. Same problems concerns etc… But with this systemic and institutionalized racism in full effect; the results are devastating. It manifests itself in disfunctional public education, wherein reminders of the gloriousness of the whites and the servitude and lowness of the blacks via HIStory is established early. The enforcement practices: brutality, unfair laws, profiling, racist politicians, legislators and law enforcement perpetuating the ignorance. Blacks are constantly under attack: consider this–If one is humble or doesnt wanna stir the pot he is weak–if outsoken and direct he / she is an angry black. Dialogue must not be ignored any longer bc it seems that as we fight over our petty differences their is an “invisible” hand gutting the country from within….

• Wendy Jane March 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Thanks, Manny, for your thoughtful comments. I don’t disagree with anything you say here. I’d like to hear what others think, too. And, knowing all of this, and as you say, knowing we need to have a dialogue, how do we move forward, how do we have these conversations, how do we understand one another better, our differences and similarities–how do we break down fear and ignorance and get ahead in a positive way? Geesh, this is big stuff–overwhelming to try and imagine how to start to change these big picture systems. Your last sentence is very powerful, chilling. Thanks again for sharing.

3. Myrna Griffith March 9, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

What a great idea this is. Looking forward to more responses. And more of your thought provoking vehicles to more understanding.

• Wendy Jane March 9, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Thanks, Myrna. I am grateful for your readership, and comments!